Nutrition, Functional Medicine & You
I blend nutrition and functional medicine into my work with clients to improve their health. Both approaches can improve so many health conditions. I have mentioned functional medicine a few times and I can hear you asking “What is functional medicine”? Functional medicine is an approach to health that focuses on identifying and addressing the root causes of disease. It seeks to find the true root causes of a person’s symptoms or lack of health. Functional medicine is also preventative. We can run lab tests or use symptoms to identify a health problem before it becomes a diagnosis of a disease.
Functional medicine goes beyond merely managing symptoms. It looks at the interactions between the environment of an individual and their entire system, with a focus on gut health, hormones and the immune system. Functional medicine sees each person as individual and provides a personalised approach to health. It is based upon the latest scientific research in health. In functional medicine, health is not just the absence of disease but is a state of vitality. You don’t even have to be sick to benefit from functional medicine. Illness takes time to develop. Following a healthy diet and lifestyle can prevent illness before it happens. Everyone deserves to not only be free from disease but to be in optimal health in order to live life to the fullest. This is what I aim to achieve for my clients.
It is possible to feel so much better and improve health issues through simply changing diet and lifestyle. In some cases, it can be the answer to a health condition. Diabetes, obesity, heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer’s, behavioural issues, depression and chronic disease are the afflictions of our time. Yet frequently, these are lifestyle diseases that are heavily influenced by what we have been eating and how we have been living. Even mild heath conditions can be drastically improved with good nutrition and lifestyle modifications. Good nutrition, a healthy lifestyle and functional medicine can help you get back to basics and improve your health.
Specifically nutrition and functional medicine can help you to:
- Improve your overall diet and lose weight
- Boost energy levels and address fatigue and/ or burn out
- Eliminate cravings by balancing blood sugar
- Improve sleep
- Reduce a multitude of digestive issues, such as IBS, bloating, reflux, constipation, etc.
- Address a medical diagnosis of a disease, condition or syndrome
- Improve a thyroid condition, which is becoming increasingly common, especially in women
- Enhance sports performance or increase workplace performance
- Prevent those afternoon dips in energy
- Strengthen your immune system and avoid flues and colds
- Balance hormones to aid in weight loss or mood enhancement
- Address difficulty losing weight which can be due to may issues such as a thyroid condition, insulin resistance, imbalanced hormones, gut dysbiosis & other gut issues and more
- Re-balance hormones through perimenopause and menopause
- Improve skin appearance
Good health starts with good food. Start your journey to good health today!